Saturday, May 8, 2010

Meeting with George Soros

For those of you who are just had a small heart attack reading the subject heading, yes, Rob and I had a one on one meeting with George Soros today for almost an hour.

The meeting went fabulously. The team prepared us very well with notes, pointers -- everything. (Thank you SJ! Also a big thank you to Natalia, Susie, Natalie and Mona who all pulled together for this meeting with research, powerpoints etc.)

My opening line was from Shijie's notes -- 'IIX is an evolution in capital markets that will help us pursue social justice and public interest more efficiently' -- we had Soros right there.

It was then 45 minutes of great discussion with a brilliant mind. No power points, no paper -- just back and forth -- simulating, exciting discussion.

He liked our approach -- holistic and focused on wrapping stock exchange with social justice. We talked about the various details of IIX and he wants us to talk more with his colleagues.

He is a very kind man with the most intelligent eyes. He is sharp, curious and to the point. I really liked him.

What an amazing experience it was. I can't wait to get him more involved in creating this next revolution with the stock market but this time for social good...

1 comment:

Anu Dang said...

Hey Durreen. You were in my thoughts and I was looking for you on the net when I stumbled upon your blog url from your TED membership.

It really heartens me to hear of your steady progress towards your goal. Also I got to know more about you too. Also saw you looking lovely in the sari in one of your interview pics.

Would not only like to join you but also wish you all the very best in your quest for Conscious Capitalism(what an appropriate title).

Keep on keeping on....